Helmut-Schmidt-Program Master’s Scholarships
Helmut-Schmidt-Program Master’s Scholarships
Jul 31, 2023
More details :
With the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme, the DAAD strives to contribute to promoting good governance and civil society structures in developing and emerging countries.
The Programme • offers future leaders master's courses in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political, and economic development • prepares them in a practice-oriented course for responsible positions in or for their home regions and contributes to establishing economic and social institutions that are democratically oriented and designed to overcome social inequalities
Graduates from developing and emerging countries (bachelor or equivalent)
• with a well-qualified first university degree and above-average grades (upper third) in Social and Political Sciences, Law, Economics, Public Policy and Administration
• willing to actively contribute to the social, political and economic development of their home countries/regions
• who have already gained practical experience relevant for the programme (p
Required documents :
The required application documents are:
• a ticked off checklist and list of criteria, signed by hand (do not insert a scanned signature), indicating place and date of issue
• the DAAD application form “Application for a research/study scholarship” (please type your answers or make sure they are clearly legible)
• a single letter of motivation (even when applying for two master’s courses) including a precise account of your academic, professional and personal reasons for wishing to participate in the HelmutSchmidt-Programme, as well as a detailed explanation of your choice of master’s course(s), indicating why your first choice of master’s course is your first choice, why your second choice is your second choice and how they will advance you academically and professionally, max. two pages long. You must provide the same letter of motivation to both courses you are applying for.
• a curriculum vitae in reverse chronological order without any unexplained gaps (format: europass) with exact information about your studies and practical experience, including the date of issue
• copies of your higher education degree certificates. Please provide a certified translation if the original is not in German or English and make sure these are clearly legible.
• a copy of your full set of transcript of records including an explanation of the grading system. Please provide a certified translation if the original is not in German or English and make sure these are clearly legible.
• confirmation of relevant professional experience orinternships and/or proof of relevant political activities or service to your community, such as volunteering or work for charities or NGOs, on headed paper, including an original (not scanned) or code certified digital signature, the date of issue and a stamp. If necessary, please provide a certified translation.
• proof of English language skills
• a current written reference from your current employer or from a university lecturer if you are a student at present, on headed paper, including an original (not scanned) or code certified digital signature, the date of issue and a stamp. If necessary, please provide a certified translation.
How to apply :
All applications must be submitted in English or German. Please indicate clearly that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance). You may apply for up to two master’s courses listed below.
1. Please read the DAAD selection criteria included in our checklist carefully. Please tick off the checklist and complete our list of criteria with your original signature (do not insert a scanned signature), indicating place and date.
2. Please complete the DAAD application form ‘Application for a research/study scholarship’ only once and indicate your selected master’s course or courses, in the latter case clearly indicating your first and second priority.
3. If you are applying for two master’s courses: Please rank the courses in order of preference in your motivation letter, i.e. why your first choice of master’s course is your first choice and why your second choice is your second choice. For each choice of course, please provide clear reasons why you think it will advance you academically and professionally. You must submit the same letter of motivation to both courses you are applying for.
4. Please submit the application form to the master’s course(s) of your
The Scholarship Benefits:
The scholarship holders will receive
• scholarships (of currently € 934 per month) for master’s courses at German higher education institutions
• health insurance cover in Germany
• appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the respective developing and emerging countries
• a study and research grant
• rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
• preceding German language course in Germany, lasting up to 6 months; participation is mandatory